Digital Learning Built for Artists—by the Clark Hulings Fund.
"Art is a business, and artists should run it." - Elizabeth Hulings
About the Salmagundi Club
Founded in 1871, the Salmagundi Club is one of the oldest art organizations in the United States. Housed in an historic brownstone in New York City, Salmagundi is a 501(c)3 not-for profit organization offering exhibitions, art classes, demonstrations, and auctions throughout the year for members and the general public. The Club owns over 1,500 works representing its 149 year history and has a membership of over 1,000 artists and patrons. Members have included important American artists such as William Merritt Chase, Louis Comfort Tiffany, N.C. Wyeth and Childe Hassam.
The By-Laws of Salmagundi as set forth in the year 1871 are as follows: The encouragement of originality as artists among its members and advancement of art of all kinds; the encouragement of the appreciation of art by the public by all available means; to provide a place for members where they may meet on a professional level in furtherance of these and related purposes; to provide facilities for the exhibition of paintings, sculptures, and other works of art and to bring together the artists and lay members of the Club.
Started as an informal gathering of three artists and two patrons in New York City in 1871, the “Salmagundi Sketch Club” had by 1881 organized national exhibitions, illustrated an article for Scribner’s Monthly, and were growing in awareness. By the end of the 19th century the club had become, in the words of its fourth president Thomas Moran, “the most artistic association in the whole country.” In 1918, the Club’s success allowed it to purchase the Hawley Mansion on Fifth Avenue where it continues to flourish today.
The arrival of COVID has not deterred the Club from its mission or from its activities. The building is presently open (with social distancing), exhibitions have been augmented by online showings and Salmagundi Programs are being offered on Zoom. Art classes likewise are being instituted online.
As stewards of a landmarked building built in 1854, Salmagundi continues to conduct repairs and improvements to its historic home at 47 Fifth Avenue. In 2014, Salmagundi renovated its Main Gallery, designed by architect Lisa Easton who was responsible for the restoration of the Metropolitan Museum Cloisters. Through generous donations and member involvement, Salmagundi converted its heating system from oil to gas and is presently preparing to make additional improvements, including the installation of an elevator for ADA access.